Lowell Celebrates Kerouac Festival
Location & times TBD.
The October Festival features tours of Kerouac’s Lowell places–including many sites described in his Lowell-based novels-panel discussions, reading, jazz and folk music, films, open mike events, as high poetry competition, book signings, and more. Kerouac fans and scholars from across the United States and around the world travel to Lowell for the festival. More info at www.
Some additional events transpiring around the centennial celebration will include:
- Famous quotes from Kerouac’s works being made as banners and hung on light poles in downtown Lowell, MA
- The Jack Kerouac Foundation has been created to establish a Jack Kerouac museum and performance venue in Lowell, MA. Their first initiative will be funding to pursue the establishment for the museum and performance center in the magnificent former St. Jean Baptiste Church where Kerouac was an altar boy and the site of his funeral in 1969.
- Adventure Lab is a new app and platform in development from the team at Geocaching HQ that allows you to play and share unique outdoor scavenger hunts, experiences, and games.
The free Adventure Lab® app guides players through the process of finding clues, solving puzzles, and completing adventures one location at a time. Jack Kerouac’s Adventure Lab has between 5-8 points located in Lowell which will allow visitors to discover places important to Jack Kerouac’s story while having fun!
- DIY Lowell will work with Kerouac @ 100 Committee on various historical markers, a “little library” and chalk walk.
- Unreleased works of Kerouac, as well as authors who were inspired by Kerouac, will be published via Sal Paradise Press—the content development arm of The Jack Kerouac Estate formed by Sampas and music industry veteran Sylvia Cunha (Director of Marketing and Development for The Jack Kerouac Estate).
- Launch of the Kerouac And Me podcast/audio project which will see stars of music, film/tv, literature, politics, sports and business share stories of how their work was inspired by Kerouac and was created by Sampas and Cunha for Sal Paradise Media and New York Times bestselling authors Dave Wedge and Casey Sherman for Fort Point Media.
About the KEROUAC @ 100 Committee:
The Kerouac @ 100 Committee consists of The Kerouac Center at UMass Lowell, Lowell Celebrates Kerouac, Lowell National Historical Park, Lowell Office of Cultural Affairs, the Pollard Memorial Library, Lowell’s Franco-American Day Committee, and Québec Delégation of Boston. KEROUAC @ 100 is funded in part by The Massachusetts Office of Travel & Tourism, The Greater Merrimack Valley Convention & Visitors Bureau, Kerouac Center at UMass Lowell, Allen Ginsberg Estate, Massachusetts State Senator Edward Kennedy, City Of Lowell, Pollard Memorial Library Foundation, Lowell National Historical Park, Jeanne D’Arc Credit Union, George Duncan/Enterprise Bank, Lowell Cultural Council, Greater Lowell Health Alliance, Québec Delégation of Boston, and the Moses Greeley Parker Lecture Series. For more information please visit JackKerouac.com or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org